Thursday, August 20, 2009

Girls of 239!

I love being married. Married life is amazing. Living and waking up next to my best friend is the most wonderful thing EVER. I don't get sick of it... at least not yet. We've been having so much fun getting our house together and learning all the WONDERFUL things that you learn about your spouse when you are first married (like him leaving the toilet seat up. UGH.) But even though my life has had so many changes and life has been so crazy busy, I've still had time to think about all of the important people I've had in my life that have gotten me through it.

Today was one of those days where I was just missing Utah. Specifically I was missing my old roomates, Suz, Camille, and Robin. They were the first roomates I had when I moved away from home for the first time. Poor girls putting up with my naive 18 year old boy crazy self. But I cannot tell you how much these girls mean to me. I cry when I think about them because I miss them so much. We were like a family. We went out during the day, lived our life, and came home and sat and talked and cried together. I went through the HARDEST times in my life with these girls and I don't know if I will ever be able to thank them enough or have them understand how much they've done for me.

I came home one particular night, probably the worst night of my life and they just knew me better than anyone at that time and knew something was wrong. They made me sit down and talk to them, and all they did was listen and love me.

Sometimes I would come home at night and feel so lost and so confused and at such a low point in my life and suz would come in and cry with me. So many people in my life didn't understand me, or why I made the decisions I did, or just thought I was going nowhere and Suz always saw so much more in me. She was such an example and had such an amazingly strong testimony and it was hard to not feel Heavenly Fathers love when you were around her. She never judged me even though I was "rough around the edges" as she would say. Often times I've gone back to those low low days and think about how much she saved me. I needed someone to believe I was worth something and she always gave me that hope.

We always loved doing little things for each other. Whether it was just leaving a note for one another or decorating each others rooms, or throwing surprise parties. One year those girls threw me a surprise birthday party and I swear our whole ward was there. I knew maybe 10 of the people but our place was PACT and I loved every second of it. Another time Robin called our moms (around christmas time) and got our favorite recipes and made us a big dinner with all of our favorite food. We would have nights where we would sit in the dark in a circle and listen to "home" by Michael buble and talk about our future husbands.

These are the memories I will always cherish. I get homesick for them and the life we had in that little 239 apartment. I loved coming home and having my best friends there. Having Camille sitting on the couch with Eddie getting math help from him, Robin always on the phone with your family back home, and Suz going EVERY WHICH way (let me tell you she is one BUSY girl. And back then she didn't have a cell phone. IMAGINE).

I don't know if I would have gotten through those years without them. My home away from home. I love you girls with all of my heart.

Here's some old pics. thrrrooowwww back:





Robin, me, and Camille all squished (I have no idea how to spell that) in the bathroom at 4am. I think it was even easter maybe? Don't ask me why we were doing this but ohhh how we laughed.


Suuzzz! Where's suuzzz! This picture makes me pee my pants!


Michelle is in this picture with us!!!! I love Michelle (suz's sister). This was at Camilles wedding (Robin was either back home or on her mission) and that was the last time before I moved that we were together. Oh how I LOVE these girls.


And then this is the most recent pic of the 4 of us. I went back to Utah in March and we all got together and had dinner. We could have sat and talked there for hours. I loved every minute of it.

4 comments:

Camille Heidbrink said...

Oh my heck!!! where you just trying to make me cry!! Lol those are such wonderful moments in our lives!!! It is so fun to look back at all the times we had together! It seriously was our home away from home. I always felt home with you girls!!! I miss you!! I love you KAYLEEN!!

Crystal Noel Perry said...

So...I read this last night, but wanted to let some of the girls of 239 comment first. So, now that Camille has, I'm going to. This post made me cry too...and I wasn't even a part of it. I love that you had them to support you and help you through tough times. I love you. You're tender. :)

Camille Heidbrink said...

oh ya I forgot to say....I totally remember taking those pictures in the bathroom at like 4 AM....So Funny!!! We had so much fun together :)

Matt and Suzanne said...

Kay! I love you so so so much! It's funny, sometimes I find myself missing the old days too. We sure went through a lot. SO glad that you are and ALWAYS will be a cherished friend. You have accomplished so much! You have always been my example of never giving up! You're an inspiration. I love your guts forever.